top of page

Acerca de

Victori Jet Ski & Boat Licence Training & Testing.jpg

FAQ & Updates

Victoria Boating & PWC Training

The Full Story

1) I am under 16 years old and I currently have a PWC endorsement on my licence. Is it still valid?
Yes. Existing endorsements will remain valid.


2) When will the changes come into effect
TBC, FAQ to be included on TSV website and provided to VicRoads and ATPs once change confirmed


3) Can I take the course for a PWC endorsement with a training provider before I turn 16?
Yes. If you are aged 15 years you can do the course and take the test.  Depending on your age, there will be a window of opportunity for you to obtain your endorsed licence on or after your 16thbirthday and before the expiry date of the Certificate of Attainment (valid for 12 months).


4) Can I take the PWC endorsement test at VicRoads before I turn 16?
No – the VicRoads system will not allow anyone under 16 years of age to take the PWC endorsement test


5) How does this affect supervised operation of a personal watercraft?
It does not affect supervised operation. An unlicensed person can operate a personal watercraft subject to these conditions: The supervising person must be aged over eighteen years and have a general marine licence. The supervisor must be in a position from which they can take immediate control of the personal watercraft.


6) What if an endorsed licence is issued to me in error when I am aged under 16 years?
The licence will be re-issued with the PWC endorsement removed, and the endorsement fee refunded in full, as the endorsement is void. If you no longer require a licence (that is, the only reason for obtaining it was to operate a personal watercraft) then the regulations provide for a pro-rata refund of the licence fee upon surrender of the licence.


7) What happens if a person aged under 16 has a Certificate of Attainment from a training provider, including PWC endorsement test and the certificate is dated before the implementation of the legislation, but is presented afterwards?
An endorsement will not be issued. A marine licence will be issued if required.

Note: if the person will turn 16 within the validity period of the Certificate of Attainment then they can apply for the endorsement after their 16th birthday, but before the Certificate of Attainment (valid for 12 months) expires.


8) Will a PWC endorsement be automatically issued to me when I turn 16?
No. You will have to apply when you become eligible.


9) What if a person aged under 16 has booked and paid for a course with an accredited training

provider and subsequently becomes aware of their ineligibility for a PWC endorsement?
Check with the training provider as soon as you become aware of this. It will depend on their cancellation and refund policy.


10) What if a person aged under 16 has been issued with a 1 or 3 year licence with a PWC endorsement, and it expires while they are still aged under 16 years?
All existing licences with endorsements can be renewed, including the endorsement.


11) What if the holder of an endorsed licence surrenders their licence, and then make a fresh application while still aged under 16 years?
Any fresh application would result in a  new licence being issued, so the applicant would be treated as a new applicant and will not be issued with an endorsement.


12) What if a new applicant aged under 16 applies for a Victorian marine licence and presents a licence issued in another jurisdiction (Australian state or territory) which allows for PWC operation?
The applicant would be treated as a new applicant and will not be issued with an endorsement. Licences are not transferred from other jurisdictions – they are just used to demonstrate attainment, in the same way as certificates from Accredited Training Providers.

bottom of page